Mar 11, 2010

Sorry to have been so quiet lately!

Let's see, some of my latest kitchen exploits have been...

I have been into raw kelp noodles for the last few months, but I think I may be giving these up for a while. When I did have them, most of the times it was with a spicy thai-like sauce, and chopped basil. I love that combo. My sauces vary each time but are generally something like this;
  • big spoon of some nut butter as a base (Pine nut, almond, etc...)
  • tamari
  • chili paste
  • coconut or rice vinegar
  • agave if needed
Sometimes I'll use some water from a young coconut and this give it a richer flavor. The trick is to balance the salty/sweet/acid components


My run up Boots road, training update

I ran 15 miles friday 3/5. It went well, except at the end my calves were just starting to cramp. I know this is a hydration issue, so I need to really make sure I am getting hydrated WELL before, and I mean like the previous 24hours before, not just the morning of.

I ran the Boots road loop (3/10)! It's a 6 miler that includes a major descent and a major ascent (have to check the actual milage/alt. change on my GPS watch). My quads are screaming today, but in a good way. I thought raw food was supposed to help clear lactic acid faster? :) Anyway, I think my ability to run continuously up each section of boots (I ran into, and took a 1 minute recovery at Mesa Hills, then a 20 sec recovery at the top of Boots before continuing) has definitely improved because of all the juicing. It has to be that. Last time I ran this loop was years ago. I've done it several times, but never without having to run downhill to recover before turning back up to continue. My lungs were fine, and I just picked a tempo and kept it even when it got very tough at the top of each section. I think the long term, slow cleaning out of my body has to be helping...

I am still shooting for Big Sur at the end of April. My next long run (16-18 mi.) will tell me a lot about where I am at readyiness-wise

ok, more next time....

No comments: