May 30, 2009

green smoothie discovery

I've read how good green soothies are for you, but never quite got in the habit of drinking them. I preferred juicing. However lately I am reading about how more nutrient dense these are than juices, and I'm concluding each has it's nutritional 'place'.

I've always made my green smoothies with dark leafy greens and fruit. Well, I bought an ebook series on transitioning to living foods, and the woman includes some recipies that look really good. Level 1 is about incorporating 1 quart of green smoothies or energy soups in your current diet each day. I'm not starting from the standard american diet, and have been eating at least %50 raw for 6 months, however, her advice and reasons for the green smothies made sense to me. So I was considering a renewed focus on having a daily green smoothie (she gives lots of what look like great recipes for greens/fruit combinations too)

But the savory (soup) recipes seemed intuitively more intersting to me... Well, DUH!! My epiphany happened : ) Who says green smoothies have to be greens and FRUIT? I have more of salt tooth in general than a sweet tooth, and I lean even more toward savory now on raw foods. So I made a green smoothie with the following;
  • big handful kale
  • a few radish leaves
  • small amount sweet onion
  • very small garlic clove
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 3 small stalks celery w/leaves
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper
  • 1/4 cucumber
  • sea salt
  • cumin
  • sprinkle of Lydia's Seasoning (dried veggies, mostly)
  • black pepper

Oh. My. Gosh!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!

Granted I am drinking this and it's 1pm, so it's definitely more of a lunchtime flavor than breakfast. But even the fruit/greens smoothies were not doing it for me at breakfast. Too thick and sweet. It was hard for me to finish them and get them down.

Lately, I've gotten into manna bread for breakfast. Whole Foods sells a manna bread that tastes like the richest, moistest muffin. I have a small amount (it's calorie dense) with my black coffee. Yum! Around 10am I green juice with fruit, greens, wheatgrass and lemon (somehow lately I'm only juicing 4 or 5 days a week).

Now I will add my savory green smoothie for the afternoon!

: )

1 comment:

BrendaBirdie said...

I want to come down and get super healthy! Love the recipes you include!!