Jan 26, 2009

Sunday nite

Last night I made a squash, that looked very much like the squash I made a few weeks ago, but ended up being very different! I need to learn my squashes. So this one was squat and round, orange, with rough, fluted skin. While the other looked the same, it was lighter in texture, and more of a butternut squash consistency; this one was quite starchy and very much like a huge sweet potato! It was yummy, but didn't go as well with the tomato sauce, as the other squash did. It was a little too sweet and starchy.

I made a second batch of the tomato sauce, but this time only put one clove of garlic (it was perfect) and used fresh basil, and no dried herbs. Carlos and I both liked it much better, but Josefina liked the first rendition! I think she didn't mind the strong garlic of the first, and the fresh basil was a little off-putting to her.

I also made a salad with arugula, dandelion greens, radish greens, sunflower sprouts (these were new for me, and delicious), red bell pepper, raw green bean bites, greek olives (raw), hemp seeds, and some yellow flower petals from a bunch Josie, and chef friend, brought. She forgot the name, and I didn't know either, but they were edible and organic, from the farmer's mkt.

Kids had Annie's organic cheese and pesto pizza. The whole wheat crust was super on this, sweet but not too sweet.

I made Josefina try the squash, but she didn't like it.

No comments: