Jan 22, 2009

thursday update

This holiday weekend was a 'raw' disaster : ) but a lot of fun from an activity point of view! We went to a birthday/Mexican party on saturday, and then had a dinner get-together at our house on Sunday. Monday (school off) we all went to San Jose and got sushi fixin's at the Japanese supermarket, and came home and had a sushi feast.

So you see, besides the daily morning green/fruit juice and raw snacks throughout the days, I'd say I went to about 40-50% raw these three days. Back on the wagon on Tuesday.

Carlos is up'ing his seriousness to loose weight. He wants to loose 20 pounds. He also wants to lower his cholesterol and blood pressure. His numbers are all better than before (yay!), but now he wants them in the 'good' range. I will continue to eat raw as much as possible, he will join me where interested, but pay attention to calories more, and increase the numbers of days of exercise. When not eating raw we intend to include steamed vegetables. Very low sat. fat (cutting out cheese for now).

Last night (Wed) I made my first raw marinara sauce. all ingredients were blended smooth. We ate it over baked spaghetti squash, which was fab. The recipe called for tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, dates, onion, basil and oregano (didn't plan ahead and have fresh; used dried), lemon juice, salt and pepper. I put too much garlic, and a little too much black pepper, and I don't recommend dried spices - that flavor is too strong- but otherwise it was great! Even Josefina liked the squash, and she liked the sauce. I set sauce in the warming oven (low), but it really didn't do much to the temp, so I believe it would have been below the 115 degree threshold.

We also roasted sweet potatoes cut in slices, and cauliflower chunks, lightly coated with olive oil, in the oven. Yum!! Carlos added a little jarred tuna to his plate for protein.

No comments: