Some experts rave about juicing and the ability for juicing to get maximum nutrition and minimal effort of digestion on the body, but with the obvious drawback of little fiber. While green smoothies contain the fiber from the greens, but also require more from the body in terms of digestion and elimination. But, I wonder, why can't someone juice and get their fiber another way??
So today when having the morning green juice I juiced all the greens first, pulled aside the pulp, and mixed it with water, while I juiced the rest of the ingredients. After, I used the pulp/water mixture with some bananas and additional water for a smoothie. Victoria illustrates in her book how she came upon green smoothies of Kale and bananas, by first blending Kale and being ut off by the smell after opening the blending top, so she added bananas and claims the smell wa "freshness" and very appealing.
Well, maybe because I juiced and then made the smoothie, but the pulp I think had time (even in that short amount of time) to start fermenting or breaking down, and the resulting smoothie was slightly sulfur smelling/tasting from the kale. Also I mixed a little of the pulp into the juice before deciding to separate it and then blend with the bananas. So even the juice had pulp and it was awkward to drink with little strings of pulp ending on my lips after each sip. Not nice, really...
So the end result of my experiment today is;
- Continue green juicing as I have been.
- Once a day make a green smoothie, but just blend everything in the blender and not worry about juicing first.
: )

1 comment:
i like both smoothies and juice but prefer actually the 'substance' of smoothies. It makes me thirsty too which I take as opportunity to continue drinking water. I haven't pulled my juicer out in awhile but going to again. I even just eat the pulp that comes out the back. Yummy!
Post a Comment